A dear friend visited for dinner last night and i took the liberty to cook some new recipes. It is not often that you can truly experiment when you are hosting dinner. Which is why i mostly experiment on Cribby!
Anyway, i put together a simple meal of grilled vegetables with cheese, mushroom pasta, gnocchi and a cold beetroot soup….which turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me too. The bedazzling colour of the beet, the citrus flavour lent by the strawberries and smooth silky finish ….no wonder I had 3 helpings!
This is quite a simple dish to cook and can be made a few hours or a night ahead of serving….The recipe i used was from Ritu Dalmia‘s Italian Khana cookbook, one of the first cookbooks i owned…
Beetroot Soup (served cold)
Beetroots -3 medium
Strawberries or mixed berries – 1 cup
Balsamic vinegar – 1/3 tsp and some extra for garnish
Olive oil -1/2 tsp
Rosemary – a pinch
Salt to taste
Parsley to garnish
Water to boil
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
1. Peel the beets. In an open pan, boil the beets in sufficient water to just cover them. Continue until a little soft, about 20mins.
2. Meanwhile, mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and rosemary together.
3. Slice the beets and brush lightly with the above mix.
4. Spread in a baking tray and bake in an oven for 20 mins.
5. Allow to cool and then blend along with hulled strawberries. Add a little water to give a creamy and light finish.
6. Garnish with Parsley and a drop of balsalmic vinegar. Chill in refrigerate until ready to serve.
Indulge in guiltless binging!