I’ve been baking a lot recently, so i have been consciously trying to cook healthy meals so as to balance all the butter Cribby & i are taking in with the cakes 😉
So, yesterday i attempted a balanced healthy dinner for us….a variety of flavours & what a colourful platter it makes… sauteed Chicken Breast & sauteed veggies with feta cheese & tomato on the side. Surprisingly, it only took about 45 mins to get ready, including the chopping & preparation. For working wives like me, helps get rid of the continuous guilt that you are not providing for healthy family dinners….
Don’t you agree that it looks inviting…? Worked for me ’cause Cribby finished all those veggies!
So for those who want to try this out, here’s my very own recipe:
– A bowlful of veggies, to your liking
– A pair of chicken breasts
– One whole tomato
– Feta cheese
– Olive Oil
– Oregano (Dry or Fresh)
– 2 Basil Leaves (optional)- Cognac (optional)
– A small knob of butter
– 2 Tbs water or chicken stock
Preparing the veggies:
– Chop your veggies in 1inch cubes, quarter the onion. I used pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, paprika, asparagus stems and onion. (this is a very effective way to use all those asparagus stems that you don’t want to throw away. just peel them & add)
– To each of the veggies, individually add a little oregano, pepper & olive oil & rest for 10 mins. Do not mix the veggies together, since cooking time for each will vary…
– Prepare the tomato by cutting into half (horizontally) and sprinkling some salt, pepper & oregano on the cut end.
– Clean two chicken breasts and pat dry. (I use skinless & boneless chicken breasts.)- Marinate these in a little salt, oregano, pepper & olive oil.
1. In a large frying pan, add a little olive oil & heat. Once the pan is hot (not fuming), add the tough veggies like Pumpkin and stir fry for a few mins. Follow with Carrots.
2. To the same pan, add the chicken breasts & allow to cook about 4 mins on one side.
3. Now add the softer veggies like Zucchini, Asparagus & Onions. Add these around the chicken breasts & turn the chicken breasts so as to cook them on the other side.
4. Sprinkle a bit of salt at this stage.
5. In about 4 mins more, check if the chicken breasts are done. Once cooked, take these out in a side dish & keep warm.
6. Now, saute the veggies further until aldente. Don’t worry much about browning the pan, as you’ll deglaze it later.
7. Remove the veggies & add the prepared tomatoes to the same pan (cut side down). If using Basil, put the basil leaves first & then place the tomatoes on top of the each leaf. This lends a nice flavour….Cover the pan & cook until done to your liking. Turn around once to softer slightly on the skin side. This should only take a few mins.
8. Meanwhile, dice the feta & add a lil olive oil, thyme, salt to season this. You can also use seasonings of your choice!
9. Remove the tomatoes & deglaze the pan with 2 tbs of cognac (if using) or use plain water/chicken stock instead. Finish off with adding the knob of butter. check seasonings & pour this over the chicken breasts.
Set out on Dinner plates directly or in serving bowls..i’ve noticed that if i just set out enough food directly on the dinner plates, it avoids over-eating! 🙂
If you are not a a strict diet, this food pairs well with a white wine like Sauvignon Blanc…